Fixing a Simple Bug with Test Driven Development
So it was the CLA Summit last week that gave me more opportunity to bang on about software testing either further and was great to discuss it with various people and see the themes coming out of it.
My common theme was that I really like the interactive nature of the Unit Test Framework, I think it plays to LabVIEW’s strengths and allows for a nice workflow (for basic tests, using test vectors is far more long winded than it needs to be!).
Another positive I took was from Steve Watts’ talk on debugging and immediacy. He talked about the advantages of ‘runnable code’, that is having logic contained in subVIs that can run independently which aids the debugging process.
So as I worked this week I came across a bug which, the process of fixing, highlighted this well. I took a screencast of the process to highlight some of the benefits that I have found and I think highlights one of the most commonly cited benefits of testing, better code structure. (Go easy, I’m not as natural on camera!)